Whenever you’re cleaning up your kitchen, you might be tempted to pour oily and hot grease down the drain. This is especially true since it’s the easiest and quickest way to get rid of grease. After you pour it, you probably feel like there is nothing to worry about anymore. Unfortunately, that is not the case.
As you pour everything and anything down into your pipes, your drains take on a lot. If you choose this “easy way” of eliminating grease, you can expect it to backfire sooner or later. It can damage your drains and cause severe problems in the future.
Today, we’re going to share with you several reasons why you shouldn’t pour grease down the drain. If you did, make sure you hire a professional plumber in Fullerton.
Damage in the Sewer System
Grease will flow into the sewers instead if you get lucky and it does not solidify inside the pipes of your house. If this happens, you should prepare for the worse. Keep in mind that the sewers have to endure grease and oil from every single business, restaurant, and house that is connected to it. The fatty substances and grease combined will eventually create fatbergs. For those who don’t know, the non-biodegradable waste and solids that you see in the sewer are called fatbergs. These substances are extremely damaging to the sewer system. It can impact the entire system of the city. This can result in detrimental damage.
The Risk of Your Drainage System
It might appear as grease flows immediately down the drain and you’ve got nothing to worry about. Unfortunately, grease solidifies once it cools down. If this happens inside the pipes, it’s bad news for you. The grease that solidified can turn into a clog for other stuff coming down the drain. This blockage can collect over time. It can slow the draining of water from the sink. This causes the pipes to clog. To make things worse, this can lead to flooding, contamination of your sewer system, and sewer backups. Of course, these issues are extremely costly to fix and clean.
What to Do If You Already Poured Grease Down the Drain?
There are a couple of things you can do to lower the damage if you already poured grease down the drain.
- Boil several cups of water and pour it down the drain. While pouring boiling water, run the tap water as hot as you can and pour dish soap down the drain as well. This will help re-liquefy the grease in the pipes. With this, the grease will continue to flow down the pipes.
- If this does not solve your issue, you might have to hire a professional plumber.
- The proper way to get rid of grease is to allow it to harden and cool in the pan/pot. Next, scrape it and throw it in a compost bin.
If you remember these tips, you can maintain the health of your pipes and drain. It can also solve a lot of issues down the line.
With everything that we have every day, we have the chance to disregard vital things in our household. We might forget to maintain our lawns and landscapes. We might forget to inspect our appliances and furniture. But we should not disregard the maintenance of our plumbing system.
The plumbing system plays a crucial role in our lives. Without a well-installed and well-maintained plumbing system, there will be an inconvenience and stressful life. Having malfunctions and problems with our plumbing system will affect every part of our household. From our kitchen, bathroom, landscape maintenance, and many more, everything will be in trouble. Many homeowners do not give time to maintain their plumbing system because they do not observe damages. It is a type of attitude that will put you in so much trouble in the future. As an owner, you should have eyes on everything in your property significantly in your plumbing system.
With the issues and problems of plumbing systems nowadays, many companies are up to this field. They have countless services for the safety and convenience of homeowners. However, we could not deny that there are companies that are not trustworthy. Thankfully, plumber in Huntington Beach is more than ready and willing to extend a helping hand for whatever plumbing system issues and maintenance you have. They are known for high-quality services and superb performance in this field. With a call away, they will knock on your doors and will serve you better!
Plumbing maintenance is an investment that is advantageous to everyone in your household. It will disallow a hassle-free experience in using everything that has water.
To give you more knowledge about the importance of plumbing maintenance, here are the advantages that will make your life hassle-free:
- Regular plumbing maintenance will help you have the best water pressure. It will allow you to have the amount of water you need for your kitchen, bathroom, and shower. Imagine if you do not have the right quantity of water in your kitchen; it will surely put you in so much chaos.
- As we all know, molds and mildew might enter our household through the pipes. We could not deny that these elements will put our health in danger. We cannot afford that our family will suffer diseases because of the molds and mildew. With the help of an expert plumber, they will ensure that our pipes and plumbing system are free from anything that will harm us.
- A well-maintained plumbing system will prevent complicated and expensive damages in the future. Because regular inspections are part of the plumbing maintenance, they will help identify and determine problems that need an immediate solution. It will not come to the point of complications that will cost a lot.
- Maintaining your plumbing system will help you save your water bills. Leaks and other damages might result in an increased amount of water bills. However, we can avoid this problem by maintaining our plumbing system very well.
- Taking good care of our plumbing system means that we are giving importance to our homes. If we plan on selling our property in the future, a well-maintained plumbing system will help us increase its value.
Furthermore, in dealing with our plumbing system at home, we should work with professionals. They are the people that know everything about our plumbing system.